Moving can be a very stressful time for both the mover and the relocating couple. There are many hidden moving costs that can put a strain on any budget.
From insurance to worker’s compensation to temporary storage, here are 10 hidden moving costs that most couples will need to be prepared for:
Cost of packing supplies while moving.
Moving and packing is perhaps one of the most dreaded activities that a family has to undertake, but this does not mean that it should be the source of stress for you. If you are handling this task with the best of interest, there would be no reason for you to be worried.
So, what are some of the things that you should keep away from while dealing with these supplies?
- First of all, you should remember that you should never compromise on the quality of the packing material that you are going to use for your relocation. If you have a budget constraint, then you can go in for cheap packing material.
- Do remember that the price of the packaging material is very much dependent on the weight as well as the size of the package that you intend to send. So, if you are opting for a smaller package, then you would be able to get the same at lower cost.
Furniture disassembly fee while moving.
When relocating, many people will want to save money by having their furniture disassembled and put together again. Many movers will offer a free move quote and will disassemble all of your furniture for you at no charge. This may not be an option for everyone, especially if you have items that are extremely valuable, but many movers will do this service for free. You will need to get an estimate from a professional moving company before selecting this option.
- If disassembling furniture is not available, you may want to consider using packing tape to cover all of the loose items in your home. This is especially true if you have antique furniture or collections that you want to protect from damage. Some companies will even use boxes that look similar to packing material in order to protect your furniture while moving it.
- Regardless of which method you choose for disassembling your furniture, you may be surprised at the small amount of money that you will save when moving your furniture. You will pay no moving fee, no disassembling fee, and no packing fee when you choose to move everything yourself.
Fee for handling bulky items.
If you have a tight budget but are still eager to relocate, maybe you can take advantage of hiring a company that offers a fee for handling bulky items. With a small budget, but you will still want to relocate, but might not be able to afford professional movers, a moving company might be able to offer a discounted rate on their bulky item removal service.
- Even if you have a small budget, you can save some money by hiring a local moving company to take care of your relocation and storage needs.
- Make sure you do your homework before signing any contracts with the movers, so you can be completely aware of any hidden costs, such as the transfer of your things to their truck or other vehicles, or any additional fees for handling charges. This is especially important if you are moving your belongings over vast distances, such as to a nearby city or state.
- You should also ask the moving company you hire for their rates for transporting goods in general and not just for handling bulky items.
If you are planning to move out of your present location and to another place, you may need to pay some fee for your move. The move can either be domestic or international, but the fees differ depending on the mode of move you choose. If you decide to move out of your present location by hiring a family member or a friend, you can expect to pay for the entire move when you receive your bill at the end of the day.
- If you are considering moving out by paying a friend or family member, check with the laws of the new place and find out if it is permitted by their laws to pay someone to help you with the move.
- You may also choose to pay for the entire move yourself. In this case, you may ask your friend or family member to pay a fee in order to help you with the entire moving, but you will be responsible for the remaining fee while traveling to your new destination.
- The single trip plan allows for one fee that covers only the transportation and packing of your belongings. The annual plan allows for an additional fee to be added to the flat-rate plan and another fee for a portion of your move expenses to be applied to a monthly plan. If you are looking to have just one trip, the annual plan is the best choice as you can expect to pay for only one move with only one fee.
While it is true that extra stops are included in the base fare of most auto insurance plans, you may want to know if you can request them separately.
- Carrying a lot of items with you when packing for a move can really help you save time and money. In addition to this, most people will want to know if there are any fees associated with using the auto insurance company’s plan.
- While most of us know that extra stops are charged when we use our own cars for transporting goods, some people may not realize that there are additional charges that apply when using an auto insurance company’s plan.
- There are fees that apply to both parties, meaning that if one party’s vehicle gets damaged, the other person is responsible for the rest of the charges. This can become quite complicated, so if you aren’t sure what is going on, it would be best to ask your agent.
- Moving house is often very expensive, so if you want to save some money, consider getting a cover that covers the price of all of your items. This way, if something does happen to your car while moving house, you won’t have to worry about how you’re going to pay for it. In addition, if you do choose to get this type of cover, make sure that it gives you enough coverage. If you’re moving in with somebody else, it may be worth it to take this route, but if you are the one moving out, you may want to consider taking out a standard policy.
- Either way, it is usually a good idea to do your homework when it comes to getting extra auto insurance coverage. This way, if anything happens to your car while moving house, you won’t end up having to spend a lot of money getting it fixed or replacing it.
For many people, moving is a very expensive affair especially if they have to move all the household stuff and huge personal belongings which require proper packing before taking it to the new place. However, one of the easiest ways of saving money while shifting your home and also while moving home is to make use of the free elevator cost.
- This kind of service has been available to the customers for a long time now and it has been found to be very beneficial and economical. It is also very important to choose a reputed and trusted company for this task.
- You can take the help of various online customer review sites to know more about the movers and packers before going ahead and selecting one. So, the next time, when you plan to relocate your house, don’t think of ways and means of cutting down the expenses that should be borne by the moving company.
- Make sure that the cost of the elevator is not more than what the actual amount is and the space allocated for moving the items.
When you’re moving to a new house there is often a fee associated with moving the belongings into your new home, this fee is commonly referred to as a storage fee.
While most people understand that this fee must be paid when they first move into the house they may not know that it is also necessary to pay a separate fee if they plan on storing their possessions for any length of time after the move. If you want to know exactly what your moving company charges for this fee, it’s important to get quotes from at least three companies.
- One reason is that in many cases the move will take quite a long time, and you may find that your belongings have become damaged over the course of this time. If you have to pay a separate fee for moving boxes then you will have to factor this in to the overall moving costs.
- Another reason is that you may find that you don’t have to use all the space provided in the move – this is money that you can use to either buy more things or to put toward other aspects of the move such as kitchen appliances or carpets. It’s always better to have a little bit of extra than to have none at all, so by paying for storage you’ll be better off overall.
Moving cancellation fee
There is no question that a move cancellation fee can really hurt your budget during a moving experience. While moving house used to be considered one of the most expensive experiences you could have, these days with the current economic downturn many people are finding that their budget is no longer so tight. However, it would be wise for you to carefully consider whether or not a move cancellation fee is worth paying. That said, there are times when you can pay for the service and still save yourself a ton of money when the moving day comes. In fact, you might even get a refund on the fee!
- One other thing to keep in mind is that while the move cancellation fee is one of the most common fees associated with moving, it is also among the most misunderstood.
- You will find people claiming they do not need the fee to help them save money. In reality, a move cancellation fee is designed to reimburse the cost of the mover’s services. Therefore, you should never pay this fee without first asking for it.
- While you may get an unfair quote based on your information, you can often negotiate the amount down and ask for just a portion of what you were originally quoted. As such, it is important that you are completely clear on the move cancellation fee before you sign anything.
Long-moving carry fee
Long-distance moving can be a very stressful experience, so it is important to know all the details before you start the move. You need to have a lot of patience when packing your things and also while transporting them to the new place.
There are people who take the help of professional movers while relocating long distances but this can also be a little expensive. If you are looking for some affordable ways to move then it is a good idea to check out all the long-distance moving companies that offer their services online.
- The first thing that you need to do before you move house is to find out the price of long-distance moving. Many people feel that the fee for this kind of move is high but it is actually not. In fact, it is far less than moving to a nearby locality. But there are few things that you need to keep in mind while you are going for a long distance. There are lots of companies that offer their services online these days.
- You should get a list of movers from the Internet and make your quotes. Compare the various offers that they are offering. When you are comparing the fees, you should take the time to find out whether the long-distance moving company will charge a self-service carry fee or a special hourly fee.
- If you are having some work done on your house and want to save some money then you can take the help of a good home improvement contractor and you can hire him for carrying out all the heavy lifting work.
Express delivery moving charges
While moving to another location, whether in your new home or some other place, there is no need for you to incur any kind of extra charge as far as the house items and other things are concerned. It will be completely paid for by your employer as a part of his monthly remuneration and all you have to do is make a point of sticking to his schedule and move along with all the rest of the packers and movers while unpacking your own stuff at the new place.
There are few rules that will help you understand the exact amount of delivery charge for moving home while shifting.
- The first rule that you will have to understand and realize is that the delivery charge will not include the garage sale items. You can incur a delivery charge if you are hiring a removal company for packing and moving your items. This is because these are considered to be your personal items and hence they are not included in the packers and movers contract. The removal companies will charge you for this service and also post the charges on their invoice.
- The second rule that you will have to understand is that the total charges for shifting the items will include the charges for packaging the items, the loading charges and also the unpacking charges at the new location.
- You have to remember that when you are shifting your home, most especially important items such as valuable jewellery should not be packed in cardboard boxes as these can cause damage.
- The insurance company will not pay any claims for such damages so it is better if you use boxes that are specifically designed for such purpose. If you want, you can also hire professional movers for shifting your home. However, the charges that they will charge you for hiring their services will depend on the distance that you want to move your home.
There are some things to consider when choosing a removalist company.
Contact us – the best moving company in Melbourne for reasonable expenses
This may not be the most popular choice of moving company in Melbourne but it’s definitely the most recommended.
This is because our company has been around for a while and has a reputation for great moving services. Contact Us provides moving quotes without the need to worry about hidden fees.
When you contact us for help, you can rest assured that your moving experience will be with a professional mover that leaves you pleased and excited about your upcoming move. This company is also available to help you through the entire moving process. If you need to talk to someone about the particulars of your moving needs, this is where they can be found. You can talk to them anytime, all day or night, and get all of the information that you need to know about your moving plans.
If you have decided that you are going to use a local moving company then this is something that you should look into. Contact us at 1800 842 066 – the best moving company in Melbourne can provide you with a moving quote without the need to worry about hidden charges. They are also available to help you through all of the moving details so that you can rest assured that you are doing everything you can to reduce your moving costs.